Always Training. Always Learning.


Monday, June 13, 2011

The Terrible, Really Bad, No Good Week. Part 1

On Monday night Phlox was uncharacteristically picky at dinner. He had been sluggish all day but nothing really concerning. Then the vomiting started and that's when the red flags started going up.
By Tuesday afternoon he couldn't keep anything down and his stool was continuing to get bloodier. He had accompanied me to the vet clinic I work at and by lunch time we decided he needed an emergency care hospital.
My ex husband met me at pup scouts so that we could drop of our son and he could drive the rest of the way. I really wasn't in any state to drive.

We arrived at the vet at 2pm and were greeted by a rather unpleasant receptionist. She asked a few questions and then ordered a Parvo test. We waited in the exam room for a very long time before some one came in with paperwork. She administered a short exam and then left to do the test.
After another long absence the vet appeared and informed us that is was indeed Parvo. My heart sank all the puppies I've ever known with parvo have died.
The vet was very reassuring and said that there was no reason that Phlox wouldn't pull through.

This whole week has been a roller coaster. One day he would be eating a little and not vomiting and the next he would be back to square one. In general I worry too much so when there really is something wrong I am a total wreak.

On Saturday morning I was allowed to bring Phlox home. He still wasn't eating much and I had fluids on stand by. He vomited a few times but other than that things went pretty well. Sunday was even better with no vomiting and semi formed stools.

This morning I was woken up at 6:30 by some one barking and scratching at the door. Annoyed I got up to shut who ever it was up. There Phlox was jumping up and barking at the door to the dog room. His tail was wagging and he so desperately wanted to visit his friends in the next room. When he saw me he ran over to sit in my lap. Then the unbelievable happened. He ate a whole steak! it is the first whole meal he has had since last Monday.    

I didn't want to post about it until I knew he was out of the woods. I'm not sure how long it will be until we can start training again but I am just happy to have my dog safe and healthy again.

This does mean that we can not show at Reliant in July. They had to shave his legs and he needs time to gain weight.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO relieved he pulled through! I heard about lil Phlox on Saturday, my heart sunk and I said a little prayer for both him and you. Again I am so happy he is healthy again, give him an extra hug from me and my furry crew!

    ReplyDelete